Science Operations Announcements
The Gemini North laser system has suffered a significant set back with a hardware and optics fault. Recovery of the system is unlikely and priority will go to commissioning the South Toptica laser, followed by the North Toptica laser. The February 2017 North LGS run is cancelled, and LGS will not be offered for semester 2017B regular programs at Gemini North. The queue coordinators are identifying LGS programs that can get useful science using a natural guide star or very good (IQ20) seeing conditions.
Gemini-North is in need of poor weather programs that can take CC80 or worse and/or IQ Any using NIRI or GNIRS ONLY. If you have an idea for a program that can take such conditions, please see the Poor Weather Proposal Process web page for more information on applying for Band 4 time.
The repair of the Gemini North laser system is proceeding but insufficient progress has been made to offer the laser this month. Because all but one NIFS program requires the laser, this also means we will not be doing the NIFS/NIRI swap this month, as previously planned. NIRI will remain on the telescope and NIFS will not be available. We remain optimistic that we will be on-line for the planned February NIFS+LGS run. Updates will be posted.
The Gemini North laser system has developed a hardware fault. We are working on a repair which is proceeding quite well but the final prognosis is still not known. January's NIFS+LGS run is delayed and shortened, and may even have to be cancelled. We are optimistic that we will be on-line for the planned February NIFS+LGS run. Updates will be posted.
Due to problems with access to the Gemini-South Observing Database the deadline for competion of Phase II for Gemini-S programs for semester 2017A has been extended to January 20th, 2017.