The community of participants at astronomical meetings and in astronomical research is made up of members from around the globe with a diverse set of skills, personalities, and experiences. It is through these differences that our community experiences success and continued growth. We expect everyone in our community to follow the guidelines outlined below when interacting with others both apart of and separate from the symposium. Our goal is to maintain a positive, inclusive, successful, and growing scientific community.
As members of the community,
- We pledge to treat all people with respect and provide a harassment and bullying-free environment, regardless of sex, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, nationality, ethnicity, and religion. In particular, sexual language and imagery, sexist, racist, or otherwise exclusionary jokes are not appropriate.
- We will treat those outside our community with the same respect as people within our community.
- We pledge that all discussions between members of the community should be done with respect, and we pledge to take proactive measure to ensure that all participants are heard and feel confident that they can freely express their opinions.
- We pledge to help the entire community follow the code of conduct and to act accordingly when we note violations.
This code of conduct applies to all situations during the symposium, including official conference events, associated social events, on social media, and one-on-one interactions.
The LOCs reserve the right to enforce this code of conduct and will take necessary action to keep the IAU symposium a welcoming environment for all participants.
This statement has been adapted from EuroWD 2018 Code of Conduct.
If at any time you feel like a violation of this Code of Conduct has occurred, or in general feel unsafe or unwelcome at our conference, please let us know using one of the following ways to report your concern:
- In person reporting to the LOC members.
- Via email to our local organizing committee (email@example.com).