The observing team at Gemini keeps a detailed log of each night's science observing, also noting weather issues, technical faults and any time spent in planned engineering. It is read by Gemini staff early each morning. A summary of the night is written at the end of observing and included at the top of each night log. That summary is posted here, unedited, to give interested users a feel for what we're doing.


Show nightlog summary for the night of:
GN | GS

UT DATE NIGHT PLAN NIGHT SUMMARY
Jul 21, 2018 The night is forecast to be clear, although seeing is not expected to be very good since the storm blew through. Low winds and minimal humidity. We will give priority to the GPI campaign for anything they can do, and follow up with F2. The night crew arrived to SBF and checked in with the GPI team online. The summit was clear, winds mild, and much warmer than the last two nights. The GPI team operated all night in IQ 20 (initially) and IQ 70 conditions. Except for a few short faults, the night went well.
Jul 20, 2018 The night is forecast to be cloudy and well-below freezing. There are chances is will clear after midnight, Tonight is the first night of the GPI campaign. We will connect remotely and give them priority or operate with F2 backup. The night crew arrived to SBF to find freezing fog on the summit. -7.5 degrees, 93% humidity, and quick moving, summit-level clouds. We remained closed for safety.
Jul 19, 2018 The night is forecast to be cloudy, and precipitation is predicted. If we are able to open, we will work with an F2 and GPI queue. If not, we will take some in dome data with F2. The night crew arrived and the day crew was still balancing the telescope. The summit was below freezing and humidity was high. We could not open on time. We ran the F2 in-dome tests, and confirmed with SOAR that seeing was terrible. Due to the uncertainty of ice on the dome (as it was -5 and 100% humidity when the day crew left, and not above freezing again), we played it safe and did not open the rest of the night. Night crew departed after F2 tests and a humidity spike in which condensation was visible on the all-sky camera.
Jul 18, 2018 Multi-instrument (GMOS-S, F2, GPI) queue from SBF. Expecting poor weather with thick clouds, high winds, and likely precipitation. Entire night lost to winter weather.
Jul 17, 2018 Multi-instrument queue with GMOS-S, F2, and GPI from SBF. We began the night with a couple of pending RToO observations in relatively good conditions. However, conditions deteriorated as the night progressed and we observed Band 4 programs before we could no longer observe due to poor seeing, thick cloud, and high wind.
Jul 16, 2018 Forecast is for clouds, so we'll make the most of it. Working from SBF, we have GMOS, F2, and GPI available. We were clouded out from the start. At first it was very patchy, but soon became unworkable. We managed to get one ToO in before we were completely covered. We got about an hour in the early morning of thin clouds, but it did not last.
Jul 15, 2018 Forecast is for clear skies, so we will follow the multi-instrument queue for whatever conditions come our way. We have GMOS, F2, and GPI available. Working from SBF Tonight started very clear and stable seeing. Seeing faltered in the second half of the night, and thin clouds in the last couple of hours. We struggled to find things to observe. We had some problems with F2, but that seemed to depend on the the target.
< Previous