The observing team at Gemini keeps a detailed log of each night's science observing, also noting weather issues, technical faults and any time spent in planned engineering. It is read by Gemini staff early each morning. A summary of the night is written at the end of observing and included at the top of each night log. That summary is posted here, unedited, to give interested users a feel for what we're doing.

Show nightlog summary for the night of:

Jun 27, 2019 F2 and GMOS queue from SBF. We expect moderate to heavy cloud cover all night, with IQ70/85 seeing. Night lost to heavy cloud.
Jun 26, 2019 GMOS and F2 queue from SBF. We expect the night to start clear with clouds coming in later, and seeing to be IQ85/Any. The night started clear, but cirrus quickly moved in. Seeing was highly variable between IQAny and IQ70. We spent a bit over 3hrs in band 4, but managed to observe F2 and GMOS queue for the rest of the night. No time lost to faults.
Jun 25, 2019 GMOS and F2 queue from SBF if conditions allow. Heavy clouds and possible precipitation are forecast. Night lost due to cloud, snow, ice, and humidity.
Jun 24, 2019 The 7th and final night of the GeMS/GSAOI run in 2019A. The conditions are expected to be changing from clear to cloudy with IQ85 seeing. The night started with the clear sky with the average seeing but the conditions quickly deteriorated. We took some closed dome calibrations while waiting for the condition to get improved but it got worse after 11pm.
Jun 23, 2019 The 6th night of the GeMS/GSAOI run with F2/GMOS/Zorro as backup. It is expected to be clear with average/worse seeing. There is one SToO observation with GeMS/GSAOI at the beginning of the night. If the condition is not good for that observation, the time critical GMOS observation will be executed. Challenging night with the dramatic weather condition. We started the night with a series of faults from different systems (GMOS, network, WFSs, etc.). Most of them were recovered except the GMOS filter wheel fault, which prevented us from observing with it. The weather conditions were also fluctuating between CC50/IQ70 and CC80/IQAny. A couple of GeMS/GSAOI programs were attempted and achieved 100mas in Ks at some point, but the sporadic and localized clouds and the strong ground layer turbulence brought the end of our attempt. For the rest of the night, we observed Band 1, B3, B4 targets with F2.
Jun 22, 2019 Fifth GeMS/GSAOI night with G2/GMOS/Zorro backup queue. Another challenging night with thin to thick cirrus and wide variations in seeing. An attempt to use the laser was frustrated by clouds and low sodium return. The rest of the night was split between Zorro observations, some Band 4 and taking GSAOI dome flats when the weather was too poor.
Jun 21, 2019 GSAOI night with F2/Zorro backup, plus GMOS back on sky checks. Clouds all night prevented again the use og GeMS/GSAOI. GMOS was checked and is ready to do science again. The rest of the night we observed with Zorro until the seeing deteriorated too much when we observed a couple of GMOS B4 targets.
< Previous