Change page style: 

Semester 2008A Time Distribution

Semester 2008A Time Distribution

Gemini North: Time Availability and Distribution

A minimum of 80% of the time will be available for science use on Gemini North in 2008A. This amounts to 146 nights, and includes ~2 nights of "Compensatory Time" to the UK in return for the long-term transfer of Michelle to Gemini, and a Gemini staff allocation.  The fraction of time available for science is slightly less than in 2007B due to the planned recoating of the primary mirror and commissioning of GNIRS.   The number of hours allocated to each partner is given in the following table.

Partner Estimated Hours Available
US 607
UK 308
Canada 198
Australia 72
Argentina 0
Brazil 13
Univ. of Hawaii (host)
119
Gemini Staff
139
Total
1456 (=146n)

Gemini South: Time Availability and Distribution

A minimum of 81% of the time will be available for science use on Gemini South in 2008A. This amounts to 148 nights, and includes 18 nights of NICI campaign science and a Gemini staff allocation.  The remaining 19%, or 34 nights, is reserved for commissioning activities (Flamingos-2 and/or MCAO-related engineering) and planned telescope maintenance.   The number of hours allocated to each partner is given in the following table.

Partner Estimated Hours Available
US 513
UK 241
Canada 162
Australia 60
Argentina 0
Brazil 14
Chile (host) 191
Gemini Staff
118
NICI Campaign Science
180
Total
1479 (=148n)

Time Adjustments

To maintain overall balance amongst the partnership, the values shown above for both Gemini North and South have been adjusted from the nominal partner shares as a result of actual time charged through 2007A.  Time trades between partners are also included. The time allocations shown here were recommended by the Operations Working Group in July 2007.  The number of nights is approximated by int(hours/10). 



Last update 30 August, 2007; Sandy Leggett