Change page style:
Michelle contains the same detector as T-ReCS. Some basic characteristics of the detectors are shown in the table below:
The properties of NIRI in imaging mode are summarized in the following sections. Three selectable fields of view and pixel scales are available. With adaptive optics NIRI is available at f/32 for J-L' imaging (but see caveats for L'), and at f/14 for imaging out to 2.5 microns due to the increased thermal background. Imaging at L' is impossible at f/6 and only sometimes possible at f/14. The narrow band L filters (e.g., the PAH filter, Br alpha) can be observed at f/32, f/14, and f/6. M' imaging is only possible at f/32.
Overview of NIRI's Capabilities
Gemini's Near InfraRed Imager and Spectrometer, NIRI, was built by the University of Hawaii's Institute for Astronomy. It provides a range of imaging and spectroscopy options in the 1-5 micron wavelength region.
How to observe with Gemini. Is this better as an expanded menu with a lot of items, as it is now (broken up by headings for Phase I and Phase II), or with just 3 expandable subheadings beneath it, or broken into two categories (phases 1 and 2) at the top level?
Basic characteristics of Michelle's imaging mode
- Several medium and narrow-band 10 um and 20 um filters (chop and nod)
- Image FWHM at or approaching the diffraction limit (FWHM ~ 1.22 lambda/D ~ 0.31" at 10 microns, ~0.63" at 20 microns)
- Pixel dimension = 0.1005" (imaging only)
- Field of view = 32"x24" in imaging mode (but note that current maximum chop throw is 15")
- Imaging usually not available using the broad band N and Q filters, due to detector saturation
Overview of Michelle's Capabilities
Michelle is a mid-infrared (7-26 micron) imager and spectrometer, formerly in use at UKIRT but now on long-term loan at Gemini. Michelle is available for imaging and spectroscopy with all of its gratings and its echelle. Imaging polarimetry is now also supported.
Long slit spectroscopy can be obtained in either normal or Nod-and-Shuffle modes using GMOS standard slits or custom slits.