- Gemini Home
- Telescopes and Sites
- Science Visitors at Gemini
- Observing With Gemini
- Partner Subscription
- Observing Modes
- Observing Overheads
- Proposal Submission
- 2015B Call for Proposals
- Nightlog GN
- Nightlog GS
- Phase II and S/W Tools
- Changing Approved Programs
- Advice for Band 3 Programs
- What to expect
- Telescope Time Charging
- Future Instrumentation
- Queue and Schedules
- Data and Results
Change page style:
2015 February 27
The 2015B.2.1 PIT has been released with the following changes:
- GRACES is available with updated options
- Support for CFH exchange proposals
- The size limit for the PDF file attachment has been increased to 30MB
- Submission to partners with 0 requested time will be avoided
- Improved error messages about which version of the PIT needs to be used with the desired backend server
- Updated guidance in the large/long program text section templates.
- More robust handling of non-ascii characters
- The sums of the GS and GN observations times are shown on the PDF summaries
- Fixed a bug related to the display of the program number when using the Australian style sheet.
- The PIT now uses Java 7 and the required Java virtual machine (jvm) is distirbuted with the PIT for all supported operating systems. The system requirements of Java 7 limit it to working on Mac OS X 10.7.3 (Lion) or newer.
2014 September 25
The 2015A.1.2 PIT has been released with the following changes:
- Support for Korea proposals (this version should not be used by other partners).
2014 August 29
The 2015A.1.1 PIT has been released with the following changes:
- Support the submission of Fast Turnaround programs
- New GMOS 0.25" slits
- Remove RA constraints on special (DD,PW) proposals
- Discontinue support for Solaris
2014 July 24
The 2014B SV PIT (2014.2.2) has been released with the following changes:
- Support GMOS-N + Altair
- Add GMOS-S Z and Y filters
- Support GRACES
2014 February 28
The 2014B PIT (2014.2.1) has been released with the following changes:
- Support the submission of large and long programs
- Make it possible to select DSSI and Texes
- Allow selection of Subaru visitor instruments
2014 February 3
An updated 2014A PIT (2014A.1.2) has been released to support 2014A poor weather, director's time, and GPI early science proposals. Changes from the previous version include:
- Added GPI and GRACES in the instrument resources list
- Fixed a problem with Horizons nonsidereal target queries
2013 August 30
The 2014A PIT (2014.1.1) has been released with the following changes:
- Proposers using the Gemini default template for the PDF attachment now have one page to describe the Experimental Design. This is simlar to the US/NOAO proposal template.
- Proposers are now requested to attach representative results from the Gemini Integration Time calculators to the proposal. A new section for this has been added to the templates for the text sections.
- Please describe any timing constraints for queue programs in the Scheduling constraints text box.
- The PIT now provides better feedback about proposal submission problems.
- The PIT will now check for duplicates in the investigator list.
- The maximum airmass option has been removed from the conditions options. Any airmass constraints should be described in the Technical Description.
- Warnings about guide stars have been made more self-consistent.
- It is now possible to select a slit width for the GMOS MOS mode.
- A new narrow-band filter, Lya395, is now available for GMOS-S.
- The GNIRS resource selection now queries for a wavelength regime.
2013 March 26
The an updated version of the 2013B PIT (2013.2.2) has been released with the following changes:
- Fix guide star query configuration so that guide star likelihood calculations will work for all users.
2013 March 1
The 2013B PIT (2013.2.1) has been released with the following changes:
- TEXES and DSSI (Speckle camera) visitor instruments have been added to the list of available instruments
- It is now possible to enter the name of any new visitor instruments that are proposed for use. Please read the visiting instrument policy before applying to bring an instrument to Gemini.
- The RA/Dec visibility limits have been updated.
- When a proposal from a previous semeter is imported the user is notified of changes made during the translation to the current semester.
2012 August 31
The 2013A PIT (2.1.2) has been released with the following changes:
- GSAOI has been added to the available instruments
- GSAOI automatic guidestar evaluation has been included and will indicate whether a Canopus guide star asterism is available
- Scheduling constraints are now entered in the Scheduling tab in the PIT rather than in the text attachment.
- A "Download" button on the Attachments line will open the web site with the LaTeX/Word attachment template files in a browser window.
- The mouse-over text explaining the guiding success probabilities has been updated to try to make the results clearer.
- There have been many improvements to the format of the PDF summaries
2012 April 3
An updated version of the 2012B PIT (2.1.0) has been released with the following changes:
- UTC time can be entered in non-sidereal target ephemerides
- The target list can be sorted by Name, RA, or Dec
- A TAC tab for NTAC rankings and comments has been added
- Bugs fixed in the creation of the PDF summary (Exchange instrument names, NOAO proposal number, sum of allocated times)
- Added support for relative as well as absolute for the PDF attachment. The attachment will be found if it is in the same directory as the XML file. This is mainly to facilitate NTAC proposal handling.
2012 March 1
The 2012B PIT is entirely new and improved. No code is shared with the previous Tool, and users are encouraged to get familiar with the new Tool well ahead of the proposal submission deadline. Some elements will look similar to the Observing Tool (OT).
Proposals for Semester 2012A Director's Time, Poor Weather or Science Verification need to continue to use the 2012A PIT until further notice (at least through June when a new OT will be released).