- Gemini Home
- Telescopes and Sites
- Science Visitors at Gemini
- Observing With Gemini
- Partner Subscription
- Proposal Routes and Observing Modes
- Observing Overheads
- Proposal Submission
- 2015B Call for Proposals
- Nightlog GN
- Nightlog GS
- Phase II and S/W Tools
- Changing Approved Programs
- Advice for Band 3 Programs
- What to expect
- Telescope Time Charging
- Future Instrumentation & Current Development
- Queue and Schedules
- Data and Results
Change page style:
Installing the Phase I Tool
On February 27, 2015 a new version of the PIT was released to support the 2015B call for proposals.
Please see the PIT Version Table for the appropriate PIT to use for different proposal types.
This page contains instructions for downloading and installing the Phase I Tool (PIT). You can install the software on individual machines or for an entire network of workstations. Versions are available for the following operating systems from the Phase I software repository:
- Windows (XP / Vista / 7)
- Linux (most distributions, including RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, and Ubuntu)
- Mac OS X (Intel Macs only with 10.7.3 (Lion) or newer)
If you experience any problems installing or running the PIT, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for the latest information.
Please read the description of new features on the PIT Release Notes page. (As in recent semesters all joint proposals must be submitted through PIT. Backend servers installed at all partner National Offices allow automatic electronic submission to multiple partners at the same time). The current PIT will import proposal files from 2012B and later, but not from semesters before that.
An example proposal is available from here. You can load it using the "Open" button within the PIT. Template examples are included.
The PIT software, LaTeX/Word templates, and example files are available on the Gemini software site in the directory corresponding to the semester. You should use your web browser to download the files. Depending on your browser, right or shift+click to save the file.
The PIT will read proposals from previous semesters but it will convert them to the format for the new semester and some information may be converted or deleted. Use the PIT that created the proposal XML file to view a proposal in its original form. A repository of old PITs is here.
Please read the installation instructions below for your preferred operating system:
The Phase I Tool has been tested on Windows XP and Windows 7. We have not had reports of problems on Windows 8.
Installing on Windows
- Download the current Windows distribution of the Phase I Tool from the Gemini FTP site (follow the link to browse the ftp directory and right or shift+click the file named pit_2015B.2.1.0_windows.exe).
- The Windows distribution is provided as a Windows executable installer.
- Use Windows Explorer to display the directory in which you downloaded the installer. You must have at least 180 megabytes of disk space available to install the Phase I Tool on Windows.
- Double-click the installer executable and follow the installer instructions. When the installation is completed, you will see a congratulatory message. Press the "Done" button to exit.
- The installation places a "Gemini/Gemini PIT" folder in your start menu. Selecting "Gemini PIT 2015B.2.1" launches the Phase I Tool.
The Phase I Tool can be used on most recent Linux distributions, including RedHat Enterprise, CentOS, Fedora, and Ubuntu. (Note that you cannot use the twm window manager).
Installing on Linux
- Download the current Linux distribution of the Phase I Tool from the Gemini FTP site (follow the link to browse the ftp directory and right or shift+click the file named pit_2015B.2.1.0_linux32.tar.gz (32-bit) or pit_2015B.2.1.0_linux64.tar.gz (64-bit)).
- Use gunzip and tar to unpack the distribution in a directory where you have at least 200 megabytes of disk space.
gunzip -c filename | tar -xvf -
- The distribution unpacks into a single directory named "pit_2015B.2.1.0_linux32" or "pit_2015B.2.1.0_linux64".
- Run the PIT. You can use the complete path to the startup script, as shown below (where the $ represents your shell prompt), or you can include that directory in your PATH.
Starting with semester 2015B the PIT is distributed with the required version of Java 1.7 (Java 7). The system requirements of Java 7 allow it to run on Mac OS X 10.7.3 (Lion) or later.
Installing on Macintosh OS X
- Download the current OS X distribution of the Phase I Tool from the Gemini FTP site (follow the link to browse the FTP directory and right or shift+click the file named pit_2015B.2.1.0_macos.dmg).
- The Macintosh OS X distribution is provided as a disk image file.
- Use the Finder to display the directory in which you downloaded the disk image. You must have at least 200 megabytes of disk space available to install the Phase I Tool on Mac OS X.
- Double-click on the disk image (dmg) file to open and mount it. Then drag the "Gemini PIT 2015B.2.1" application icon to the location where you want to install it (normally the Applications folder). Then unmount the disk image from the Finder.
- Double-click on the application icon to run the Phase I Tool.