Change page style:
Gemini Observatory does not offer regularly scheduled public tours of our facilities in Hawaii and Chile. However, we make every effort to accommodate teacher/student groups and professionals involved in activities related to astronomical research/engineering. The following should be considered before making a tour request:
- Individuals under 16 years of age are not permitted within the Gemini North facility (or on the upper elevations of Mauna Kea);
- Youth between 16-18 require parent/guardian signature/permission to visit Gemini North;
- Gemini cannot provide tours for ANY commercial group where a “for-profit” company is involved in organizing or charging for any aspect of a tour group’s itinerary;
- Anyone with pre-existing health issues that might be exacerbated by extreme altitude should not plan to visit Gemini North without a doctor’s evaluation (Gemini North is located at an altitude of about 4200 meters/13,800 feet and atmospheric pressure is 40% lower than at sea level resulting in 40% less oxygen available to your body);
- Advance planning is required and any requests less that two weeks prior to a planned visitation will have significantly reduced chances of approval;
- Tours are not allowed during engineering shut-down periods;
- Gemini cannot offer transportation - appropriate transportation is the responsibility of the group coordinators;
- Weekend tours are only possible in special cases, require at least two months advance scheduling, and will often be denied due to staff scheduling limitations;
- Unless special arrangements are made at least two months prior to the tour date, tours are limited to a maximum of 12 individuals at Gemini North. Please note special arangments must be made with the Mauna Kea Support Services for groups of more than 10;
- Evening tours at the summit are no longer scheduled due to changes in night time staffing;
- Authorized (and permitted) media will be accommodated upon special request;
- There is no charge for approved groups visiting either Gemini facility;
- All tour participants must sign and return (email prefered or fax: 808-974-2589) Maunakea Observatories Visitor Waiver , and read the Gemini (Maunakea Observatory Guidlines for Gemini North) Safety Guidelines (English | Spanish) prior to departing sea-level for any visit to the Gemini telescope facilities;
- Film and video production teams must have all appropriate state film permits and permissions (can take 3-4 weeks).
If you feel that your group meets the requirements listed above and would like to request a tour, please contact:
General Educational/Profession tours (Gemini North): Please submit a request via our tour application website.
For more information on Mauna Kea tour companies, evening stargazing and media film permits see the Mauna Kea Visitors Center website.
Note: most rental car companies do not allow their vehicles on Mauna Kea, please allow for extra expense and lead-time to secure transportation rentals (4-wheel drive) for visiting Mauna Kea.
If you decide not to request a tour of Gemini, please ask for one of our Virtual Tour CD-ROMS by e-mailing us here. In the e-mail be sure to include your name and full mailing address.
Visitas al telescopio Gemini South.